Monday, March 9, 2009

Step to it

I usually have a pedometer on me, but I rarely look at the number anymore. It has been shown that pedometers increase physical activity. According to a review in JAMA, "use of a pedometer is associated with significant increases in physical activity and significant decreases in body mass index and blood pressure." Perhaps, I should be looking at the numbers more closely. I always like to challenge myself. The first few days, I would surely just try to beat my day before. Despite working in a small clinic, I am sure I can find more ways to add steps in, like taking multiple trips to the workroom from my office.

The daily goal for an average person is 10,000 steps (which is around 5 miles). Of course, one can not be expected to start off walking 10,000 steps. A person gradually works their way up. It can be surprising how high your number can be to begin with though. I remember reading a study in medical school that looked at the physical activity of female factory workers. They labeled their amount of physical activity high and the researchers thought the women had not perceived the amount of activity correctly. The women were given pedometers and when the researchers were amazed to find that the women were actually walking several miles a day.

I think I will start wearing a pedometer and determine my average daily walking distance. In addition, I will look for ways to increase it.

ref:JAMA. 2007;298(19):2296-2304.

No comments:

Post a Comment